This is the third post in a multi-part blog series called: What is the Average Nanny Salary in NYC – the Nanny Agency NYC Families have Trusted since 2007 Provides the 2017 Survey Results.
While the results contained in this survey are primarily applicable to families living in the NYC borough of Brooklyn, this data represents the best third-party evidence of nanny pay in the tri-state area that we have seen. At the same time, we think that a grain of salt should be used when interpreting these survey results, since our own research from servicing NYC families since 2007 suggests that NYC nanny salaries in Manhattan start at closer to $20 for highly-qualified career nannies.Some of the factors that we see (and which are highlighted in the survey) that cause our nannies to command higher-than-average salaries are things like: the ability to speak a second language, 5+ years of experience, experience caring for multiple children at once, infant experience/certifications, college educations and/or specialized training, and experience with twins, multiples, and special needs.
In this post, I review employer work policies related to the average NYC Nanny Salary:
- 86% of respondents give their nanny a full day’s pay if she is dismissed early.
- 76% of employers have an “open kitchen” policy with their nanny.
- 65% of employers pay their nanny’s cab fare home if dismissed at a “late hour.”
- 55% of employers pay for their nanny’s metrocard or offer a similar travel subsidy.
- 52% of employers give their nannies access to the family’s home computer/internet access
- 48% of employers give their nanny an allowance to spend as they wish with the children (range of $15-30 per week)
Here is a link to the survey that gives you information about the average New York Nanny Salary, which in 2017 was $17.63.
As an aside, this link to the New York Unemployment Eligibility might be of interest as you consider all the details related to hiring of your next nanny. http://bit.ly/2gPQ3H7
Additionally, if you’re looking for a payroll agency to handle your nanny taxes, we have a partnership with HomeWork Solutions (www.homeworksolutions.com).